How to Apply
The Deepings SCITT is committed to safer-recruitment. (For Privacy notice – click here)
Applications are made through the UCAS central application system where The Deepings SCITT is listed as a provider. Applications open in October 2020 for the teacher training courses starting in September 2021. They will close at some point in June.
Please note that the personal statement and references are a crucial part of the application process, and your application will not be complete and visible to us without these two elements.
Once you have applied via UCAS, all Training Providers have 40 working days to make a decision on your application. You will receive a welcome email from UCAS which will contain your Personal ID and username for their online system Track, where you can follow the progress of your application. Your application will be sent to your chosen training providers online, normally within 24 hours. You’ll find out in Track what decision each training provider has made on your application.
Decisions & Replies
Once you have submitted your application, your chosen training providers will review your details and decide whether to make you an offer or invite you along to interview.
- When you have received decisions in Track from all your choices, you have 10 working days to reply to any offers you’ve been given. You only need to reply to your offers once you’ve had decisions from all your choices, this is when the 10 working days begins.
- If you’re sure you already have the offer you want, you can withdraw from any outstanding choices to accept that offer.
- You must reply to your offers in Track. Any verbal or email communication with a training provider will not be considered formal decisions.
- You can only accept one offer. If you’ve got more than one, you’ll have to choose the offer that’s best for you and decline the others. But if you don’t want to accept any of the offers, you can decline them all.
- Make sure you respond inside the 10 working days or your offers will be automatically declined.
- If you accept an unconditional offer, you are agreeing to take a place on that programme with that training provider.
- If you accept a conditional offer, you are agreeing to take a place on that programme with that training provider, if you meet all the conditions.
You can accept an offer before you have heard from all your choices. However, we would advise you to think very carefully before doing this and do not do it unless you are very sure this is the right choice for you. To do this, you must withdraw from any providers who have not given a decision. The option to reply will only become available through Track after you have done this.
Screening: Applications are initially scrutinised by a team with priority given to those applicants with a 2:1 class degree or above.
Interview: Successful candidates are invited for an interview usually held at The Deepings School (Secondary) and Bourne Westfield (Primary.) The panel will aim to include a SCITT Manager / Director, appropriate representation from the Partner School (including a subject specialist for secondary) and at least one member of the panel will have had recent Safer Recruitment Training.
As well as a formal interview, this process will include, for secondary, an assessed presentation on a topic released to the candidate prior to the interview for preparation purposes. For Primary there is an assessed reading task. Candidates will also be tested on their fundamental proficiencies in English and Maths. Offers will be dependent on a successful Host School Visit which sees applicants who have been successful at formal interview, invited to attend the potential host school.
Host School Visit: This is recommended to be at least a full-day visit (unless the candidate is already employed by the school in some capacity) in order to assess mutual suitability.
A programme will be put on for the candidate which may include:
- Lesson observations
- Active participation with groups of students (delivery if appropriate)
- Attendance at staff meetings / opportunities to meet with the subject team
- Interviews with senior and subject leader(s)
The outcome of the HSV is critical in deciding the suitability of the applicant for the training post. A conditional offer of a place would need to be issued and accepted following this visit.
Entry Requirements for The Deepings SCITT
We seek high quality graduates who can demonstrate a commitment to teaching as a career and require the following qualifications for entry to all of our courses:
- A degree, class (usually) 2:2 or higher, awarded by a UK university or a recognised equivalent qualification.
- GCSE English and Maths (or equivalent) at grade C /4 or above.
- GCSE Science (or equivalent) at grade C /4 or above if you are applying to teach primary.
- Evidence of competence in English and Maths (tests on interview)
Although there is now no minimum requirement, we expect you to have had some recent classroom experience in your chosen phase / subject prior to application; you need to have some understanding of the complexities and the skill set required for the career you wish to enter. If you don’t have any, ask us if you can spend some time observing classes and helping out before you apply.
Fitness to Teach
We will need to ensure you are fit to teach and you may be asked some questions with regard to this to establish whether we need to carry out a ‘Fit to Work’ assessment.
On the offer of a place, in the interests of safer recruitment, we ask all candidates to complete a full chronological employment history.
Disclosure and Barring Service
You will be required to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) barred list and criminal records check. A criminal record won’t necessarily prevent you from becoming a teacher though you will need to disclose any criminal convictions, cautions or bind-overs and agree to an enhanced criminal check. This enables us to identify those who are barred from working with children and vulnerable adults.
Eligibility to study in the UK
If you are not a British national you must ensure via the Home Office/UK Border Agency that you are eligible to study in the UK and, if necessary, have applied for and received all the required visas, permits and documentation to do so before your training begins.
How To Apply
The Deepings SCITT
The Deepings School,
Park Road, Deeping St James,
Peterborough, PE6 8NF
The Deepings SCITT
The Deepings School,
Deeping St James,